Buddha bowl, also known as glory or hippie bowls, are all the rage right now when it comes to quick and easy, hearty meals. These filling bowls are typically made with a base of healthy grains such as brown rice or quinoa, and topped with various greens, raw or roasted veggies, and beans. Often, a Buddha bowl is topped with dried fruits, nuts, seeds and dressings for added flavor.
My first Buddha bowl experience was the Freshii Pangoa Bowl. A filling base of brown rice topped with avocado, aged cheddar, cherry tomatoes, black beans, corn, cilantro, and a lime wedge and finished with fiery bbq sauce. This bowl is the perfect mix of healthy-meets-filling and makes the perfect lunch. While this tasty meal is easy on the waistline, it’s not so easy on the pocketbook. Ringing in at nearly $10 I knew I could make it better myself.
Each Buddha bowl has it’s own signature ingredient, and for me, this one is the fiery bbq sauce and the aged cheddar. For my copycat recipe, I created my own version of the hot and tangy dressing and used my favourite — Balderson Aged Cheddar.
Toss your leftovers, or any additional ingredients into a mason jar for a quick and easy lunch on the go!
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- ¼ cup corn
- ¼ cup black beans
- ¼ cup (aprox. 4) cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ¼ cup aged white cheddar cheese
- ¼ large avocado, sliced
- Cilantro to taste
- 1 slice of lime
- ½ cup Spicy BBQ Sauce
- 1 Tbsp sriracha
- 2 Tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Milk
- Prepare brown rice as per package instructions.
- Once cooled, transfer 2 cups of brown rice into a bowl. Top with corn, black beans, cherry tomatoes, cheese and sliced avocado. Garnish with cilantro and a slice of lime.
- To prepare spicy BBQ dressing, mix all ingredients in a mason jar or squeeze bottle until well combined.
- Drizzle over prepared Buddha Bowl and Enjoy!
Have you had a Buddha Bowl before? What’s your favourite combo?