The problem with having school aged children, is that they very quickly become smarter than you. Not street smart obviously, as it’s rare that a day goes by where I don’t have to tell one of my kids not to eat random food found in the couch cushions, or why it’s especially important to wash your hands after using public washrooms or outhouses even if you didn’t pee on yourself… *shiver*. But book smart – you know, the things that you learned in school umpteen years ago and now rely on Google for.
This year, with my son in a grade 2/3 split class I was seriously schooled on my knowledge of Canada, so I figured I would share with you, 10 things you probably didn’t know about Canada
- Canada is the garder snake capital of the world! Funny story – When I was a kid, I attended golf camp every summer. One of the boys that also attended camp was totally into snakes. In fact, it wasn’t uncommon for him to all of a sudden run off, hop into the bush and come up with a garder snake in hand. How’s that for a party trick?
- Kraft Dinner (aka: KD) is the top-selling grocery item in the country! We consume 55% more of it than Americans do!
- Canada has something called an “Apology Act” which allows an apology in court to be a sign of compassion and empathy, not guilt. How’s that for Canadian!
- The Nation’s official phone number is 1-800-O-Canada! Seriously… I couldn’t make it up. Don’t believe me? Call it… Tell them I sent you, it’s ok, I’ll wait!
- Santa Claus is Canadian. This explains why he wears red and white, and why if you mail a letter to him a Canada Post employee will respond to each and every letter written! Just don’t forget the postal code – H0H 0H0
- Canada is home to a rich filmmaking industry, and is aptly referred to as “Hollywood North”. Many notable actors and actresses are Canadian, as well as many of our favourite Netflix shows; like Super Why, Project MC², Shadow Hunters, and the biggest kids fave, filmed right here in Vancouver Diary of a Whimpy Kid.
- 20% of the worlds water is in Canada, and and 31% of Canada is taken up by forests! Many people agree that our tap water is better quality and taste than what you’d find in store bought bottles.
- Canada has more doughnut shops per capita than anywhere else! And thank god for that!
- The Canada/USA border is the longest international border in the world and lacks military defense.
- In Saskatchewan, a hoodie (or sweater) is called a “bunnyhugs”!
How many of those 10 fun facts did you know? Did you call 1-800-O-Canada? What do you call a hoodie?
Disclaimer: I am part of the Netflix #StreamTeam and receive perks for my ongoing partnership. As with everything, all thoughts and opinions are my own!
Are you following on social media? Find BentoMomma on:
Facebook // Twitter // Instagram // YouTube // Pinterest
Leave a Reply