How on earth could I have thought that I didn’t like Nutella?! That said, I shouldn’t be surprised that this has happened to me given that I did the exact same thing with corn on the cob years ago.
Anyways, in my quest to put my new love for Nutella to good use, I decided what better way to use it than to pair it with chocolate and strawberries and wrap it all together in a new spin on a classic favourite, French Toast.
Enter, French Toast Roll Ups!
- 8 slices of bread
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp Milk
- Cream Cheese* (Softened), Nutella, Fruit, Peanut Butter, or filling of your choice
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon
- In a shallow bowl or dish, wisk the eggs and milk together until combined, set aside
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in another shallow bowl or dish and set aside
- Trim crusts off each slice of bread
- Flatten each piece of bread with a rolling pin
- Place desired amount of filling at the end of one side of your flattened bread (I used about 2 Tbsp of cream cheese or Nutella) and top with berries, if desired
- Roll the bread tightly, repeat with remaining slices of bread, I added a thin line of cream cheese/Nutella to the inside of the end of the roll so the seam wouldn't come apart.
- Heat your greased pan or grill to medium heat
- Dip your bread rolls in egg mixture, making sure to coat entire roll and ends
- Place in pan, seam side down, turning to cook ensuring that all sides are golden brown
- Roll cooked rolls immediately in cinnamon sugar mixture until fully covered.
- Serve while hot with syrup, honey or just enjoy as is!
This recipe was adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything