February 5th is World Nutella Day! Yes… It’s a thing – a day entirely dedicated to the world’s love and passion for Nutella.
Funny story, it wasn’t until I was in my 30’s that I discovered I even liked Nutella. My mom had a very persuasive way of convincing us kids that we didn’t like the things that she didn’t want us to like. Mostly it was just messy or overly sugary foods like ketchup chips and well, Nutella. One day, not long ago, a small sample pack of Nutella came in the mail and thinking I didn’t like it, I decided to give it to my son to try. Naturally, I sampled what he was eating and was in immediate shock over that fact that it was quite delicious, and hey! I did like Nutella!
Needless to say, I immediately called my mom to voice my displeasure for her having deprived me of this chocolatey, hazelnutty deliciousness all these years. She laughed, and I silently questioned what other foods I’ve avoided my entire life thinking I didn’t like.
So while I had finally discovered this love for Nutella, I quickly came to realize that my wallet and my waistline weren’t on board. I’ve also come to realize that homemade Nutella is a delicious treat that is super simple to make at home. Six ingredients and about 20 minutes of your time, and you’ll be indulging in a far more satisfying version of your favourite store-bought treats.
The key to homemade Nutella is roasting the Hazelnuts first. This simple process will pay dividends in flavour, as well, the roasting process helps to loosen the skin that coats the exterior of the hazelnut which you have to remove before processing. If you don’t have time to roast your own hazelnuts, or just plain don’t want to, look for pre-roasted hazelnuts in your grocery store. Once the hazelnuts are roasted and cooled, peel the skin off by rubbing handfuls of nuts between the palms of your hands. I enlisted the small kid for this task! Don’t worry too much about the nuts being peeled to perfection as you’ll be processing them into oblivion anyways!
The next step is the easiest! Throw all of the ingredients into your Blendtec, or other food processor and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides regularly. I cannot stress the importance of making sure that your homemade Nutella is completely smooth, it really makes a difference in the taste, so once you think you’re done blending, blend for another 30 seconds or so — just to be sure!
Serve immediately on sliced fruit, toast, or make these delicious French Toast Roll Ups! Store leftovers in small mason jars in the fridge and enjoy!
- 2 cups Roasted Hazelnuts, peeled
- ¼ cup Coconut oil, melted to liquid (vegetable, canola or hazelnut oil also work)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup Cocoa Powder
- 1½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Spread hazelnuts in a single, even layer on a cookie sheet and roast for 12-15 minutes, or until fragrant and skin has become loose.
- Let hazelnuts cool and peel of skin by rubbing vigorously between the palms of your hands.
- Once hazelnuts are peeled, add nuts and all remaining ingredients to blender and blend, scraping down the sides as required until mixture is as smooth as possible.
- Transfer homemade Nutella a mason jar or other resealable container and enjoy!
- Store homemade Nutella in the fridge for up to 2 weeks (but we all know it wont last that long!)
Are you a Nutella lover? What’s your favourite thing to put Nutella on?