Cold & Flu season is upon us, and nothing says comfort food like a big ‘ol bowl of chicken noodle soup, amiright?
As soon as the weather gets colder, all I can think about is soup — stews, chowders, bisques, you name it — I want it in my belly.
My man was recently laid up with a bad case of the man cold, and being the supportive girlfriend I am
I nursed him back to health I politely asked him to stay home so as not to get the rest of us sick! Needless to say, he was less than thrilled with that request, so in an effort to regain some of my good girlfriend klout, I whipped up a batch of homemade chicken noodle soup. Not only is this soup really quick to make, it’s simple, and you’re likely to have most of the ingredients on hand.
This recipe makes a big pot of soup, with plenty to go around. So go ahead and whip up a batch of this comforting classic! Enjoy!
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ large White Onion
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- ½ tsp Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ tsp Dried Oregano
- ½ tsp Dried Basil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ Large Onion, finely chopped
- 3 Celery stalks, diced
- 2 Large Carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 sprigs of Rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper flakes
- 8 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 - 32 oz. Boxes low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups Egg Noodles
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup Fresh Dill
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- In a medium pan, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Chop chicken breasts into bite sized chunks and add to pan. Season with salt, pepper, and remaining herbs and spices. Toss in pan until completely coated, then transfer to a large baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Remove from oven set aside.
- To prepare the soup, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, carrot and celery until softened, aprox. 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, rosemary and red pepper flakes.
- Add garlic and bay leaf and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken stock and egg noodles an bring soup mixture to a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until egg noodles are al dente.
- Add chicken to soup. Stir in lemon juice and fresh dill. Adjust seasonings, salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into bowls and serve hot!